Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fitting School In

I have watned to finish my bachelor's degree ever since 2001, when I initially dropped out of college. I started out as a music major, mainly because I love music and love to sing. I didn't have a whole lot of interest in anything else at the time. Now here I am, 9 years later (I almost said 8!), and I am at the grind again. I have changed my direction completely and studying nutrition science. This is something I am passionate about. I have witnessed what happens to a person when they neglect nutrition, and it is something I want to avoid altogether. I hope to help other people avoid the pain I have seen by educating them on nutrition and healthy lifestyles as well.
This has not been an easy task. I home-school my own children, 2 of which are currently in school. I have a baby and toddler also. I co-run a youth group with my husband. Literally, I am just "fitting school in". I do not have the time to devote to it that I wish I had. It is often an added stress and time crunch. I am cutting back on my sleep in order to get everything accomplished in the hours I have in a day. This is a struggle, because I love to sleep.
However, in the past week I have seen how extreme things can become with a person who just doesn't care about nutrition. I have watched and prayed that ________ would not choose food over health. I leave that blank there because I do not wish to share who this person is. Still, I think this person will be choosing food, and continue to shorten their life and lower their quality of life. They are already so ill, and I wonder if they even think that it could change. I know it could, but it would take some drastic measures - ones I am not sure they are willing to take. So, I press on in my studies, hoping that I will be able to lead other people down a healthier path. I hope to use what I have seen to educate other people and warn them. Regardless of how difficult school is to finish right now, I will not quit because I want to make a difference for people in their long-term health.

No comments:

Post a Comment